Click here to see our other courses!
How would you like to know the leadership secrets of a man who grew a $250 million company based on a culture of joy after starting with a single funky motel on borrowed money?
A Video Message from Chip About this Course
More About this Program
This program is designed to give you the key foundations to be the kind of leader that others respect, trust, and want to work for. This will allow you to attract better talent, retain them and grow them into the kind of leaders who can grow your business for you. These skills are the single most important skills for success as an entrepreneur just starting out or a leader of an established company.
This is especially true in a time of recession- we are required to be even stronger and better leaders who can dispel fear, navigate uncertainty, and inspire people's highest gifts. Otherwise, our businesses, non-profits, and communities spiral downward, as so many have done in these last years.
Trusted transformational leaders can skyrocket their own earning potential and create breakthrough successes for employees, as well as creating companies that are fantastic to work for. That's why Tony Hsieh invited Chip Conley to present to all his employees at Zappos and made Chip's book required reading, contributing to the phenomenal growth of the company, which was sold recently to Amazon for $1.2 billion.
Ask yourself: how many more hundreds of thousands of dollars would you make over your career from others seeing you as a leader they can trust? How much would you save if employees stay with your company at half the industry averages? How much if your customers were far more loyal?
During this program, Chip will help mentor you with step-by-step strategies for accessing your full leadership potential, which in turn helps you unlock the genius in others. We'll begin with a five-week Course on the core foundationsChip and our coaching team will then continue with three months of supporting you in having a leadership breakthrough, supported by our global network of emerging leaders.
You'll be able to engage Chip live in an interactive way with questions about your business and your leadership challenges. You'll also be coached by Chip's top PEAK Leadership Coaches.
Chip's leadership practices can lead to greater professional, financial, emotional, and even spiritual success, leading you to make a bigger contribution and create a more enduring legacy.
You can become the kind of leader that others celebrate and trust. We’ll show you how with this program, which will:
- Reveal the "PEAK practices" that successful leaders use and how you can adopt them as well.
- Show how to create sustained growth in your organizations or teams.
- Offer you a more comprehensive operating manual for business grounded in leading-edge psychology.
- Help you foster the conditions for creativity, teamwork, and excellence.
- Provide keys to creating the conditions for people to live their callings - essential for breakthrough organizational success.
- Understand the value of intangibles (the most important asset in the 21st century) and how to measure and apply them in a way that leads to success.
- Hone your skill at moving between being a transactional to being a transformational leader.
- Develop your skills at serving your customer’s higher needs, which builds sales and loyalty.
- Create the sustainable foundations in your life for effective leadership(and great happiness).
Dear fellow leader,
I am delighted to invite you to the leading edge of your own growth as a leader.
True leadership is one of those topics shrouded in mystique - we sense it in others but often have trouble naming exactly what it is or what practices will help us excel at it. And yet, there is probably no quality more foundational for success in any realm of human endeavor. Great leaders create powerful successes, not purely through their own effort, but by empowering everyone in their own genius.
As the CEO of a company which has grown to 3,500 employees during two dozen years, I’ve thought a lot about practices that define a PEAK-performing leader. A few years ago, in the last downturn, I developed the principles of PEAK as an alternative operating manual for business based upon Abraham Maslow’s iconic Hierarchy of Needs.
Reinterpreting this well-known theory of human motivation helped me to see that all stakeholders associated with a company have their own Hierarchy of Needs based upon what I call the Transformation Pyramid of survival, success, and transformation. Miraculously, focusing on the most neglected fact in business (that we’re all human), I found that these PEAK principles helped my company triple in size during the worst of times and I’ve found all kinds of other well-known companies, from Apple to Harley-Davidson, that have used Maslow’s theory as a foundation of their business model.
Once again we’re in a downturn, but this time I’ve looked at how effective leaders use the principles of PEAK in their everyday leadership practices to drive organizational performance. Business principles are only as good as the practices that back them up. Thus, I’ve developed a set of PEAK Leadership practices that can assist any leader or leadership team to move your organization from mediocrity to excellence based upon well-known theories of human motivation and behavior.
When we apply these principles and practices to our leadership, the end result is PEAK performance: a phenomenon of sustained growth - both for the organization as well as for those within the organization.
The great thing about these principles is that they also apply to non-profits, associations, startups and other organizations of all sizes. If we are called to lead - not just in business but anywhere - the core DNA of PEAK leadership is remarkably similar.
Abe Maslow coined the expression “PEAK experiences” to define those moments when someone feels they are in the right place at the right time, doing or being what’s just right for them. Great companies create the conditions for PEAK experiences to occur more frequently for their stakeholders, whether that is their employees, their customers, or their investors.
We’ll begin with a Course that will teach you nine foundational practices that build upon each other, as well as the skills and habits that back them up and help the PEAK principles come to life in an organization. While each practice can stand alone, when combining them together a PEAK leader unlocks the human potential that’s stored in every organization or team so that PEAK performance is more likely. They are more than foundational beliefs, they represent a new way of doing business.
Over the next four months, we’ll help you deepen these skills and put them into practice so that you have made a truly foundational change in your life.
Join me for a PEAK learning experience!
More About this Program
We at The Shift Network are always watching for transformational talent - people who lead exemplary lives and can help catalyze deep transformation in others. Chip Conley is such a man, who walks his talk and influences other powerful business leaders across the world through a remarkable number of speeches (including this year’s TED conference) and influential books, all while running his 3,500 company as a demonstration of what is possible when self-actualization is at the core of business.
In short, he’s one of the most remarkable leaders we’ve met. During the Enlightened Business Summit he demonstrated why he is so broadly admired, as he hosted the world’s top pioneers to explore the leading edge of business. And he’s a remarkable teacher as well, who is offering some of the most important codes for true leadership.
We cannot create a better life for ourselves or our companies - much less a better world - without taking his leadership principles and practices to heart. This program is designed for you if you:
- Want to be a truly conscious, successful, and effective leader that others respect
- Aspire to create great organizational cultures
- Recognize the importance of new templates for leadership to create a better world
- Hunger for a holistic understanding of human potential that is easy to understand and apply effectively.
You will benefit from this course through:
- Increased self-awareness
- Improved personal practices for transformation
- A clear vision for how to inspire others effectively
- Rock-solid foundations for your own PEAK leadership
- Steady, sustainable growth in your company from applying the principles.
Chip truly is the perfect person to initiate you into the next level of your leadership and help you activate your deepest gifts. He’s not just a theorist who writes books. He’s used his company as a “leadership laboratory” for more than two decades. And you’ll engage him in a truly interactive way with our use of MaestroConference technology.
The Orientation is optional (as, of course, are all of the classes since all of the audio is downloadable as part of the course registration) with the introduction of the PEAK principles being a pivotal part of the session. If you are very knowledgeable in the PEAK principles or have been taught by Chip in another workshop, then you can potentially afford to miss the Orientation...otherwise we highly recommend it and the key subjects will include:
- Chip introduces himself (as well as the coaches who will be involved in the four-month course) and give a brief history of his experience as an entrepreneur and CEO as well as how he got introduced to mixing psychology and business
- Overview Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and how it can relate to the business world; Introduction of the Transformation Pyramid
- Review the Relationship Truths Pyramid from Chip’s book PEAK and how it will be relevant to the course
- Discuss the logistics of the course and have a Q&A about logistics or any of the fundamental principles which had been outlined that day
In our first class, we will look at the foundations of PEAK leadership and how they relate to Abraham Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and address the two core practices: first, to embody an inherently positive view of human nature and, second, to create the conditions for people to live into callings. Benefits include:
- Review your own sense of human nature and how it shows up subconsciously and consciously in the workplace
- How to create the right “psycho-hygiene” in a company or team, even in a recession
- Take a test that tells you whether you currently have a job, a career, or a calling and how you can apply these findings to others
In our second week, we’ll look at two practices that are particularly important in the 21st century: first, to promote and measure the value of intangibles and, second, learning to move fluidly between being a “transactional” and “transformational” leader. Benefits include:
- Do a diagnostic on your current business as to where value comes from: the tangibles vs. the intangibles
- How to develop metrics for the intangibles in your business (employee meaning, customer evangelism, brand reputation, innovation spirit)
- How to identify and amplify the higher needs in those you are leading
- Understand what portion of your week is taken up by transactional tasks vs. transformational opportunities and how to shift your focus
In our third week, we’ll focus on how as a leader you connect internally and externally: first, to nurture, value, and evolve organizational culture as your differentiator and, second, to calibrate the balance between “conscious” and “capitalism.” Benefits include:
- Understand how to inoculate a culture against fear and create the conditions for organizational health
- How to navigate an economic downturn and emerge with a stronger culture
- Learn how you can make a positive difference in the world while also making a difference on your bottom line
- Understanding and applying the principles of “karmic capitalism” to your benefit
Our fourth week will focus on the next two practices for PEAK leadership: first, focus on your customer’s highest needs and, second, recognize the value of loyalty as a means to success. Benefits include:
- Discovering the deeper motives and drivers in those with whom you do business and learning how to address those deeper motives
- Cultivating intuition in going beyond obvious needs to the unmet needs for customers (the 4 ways you can “mind read” your customers)
- Do a loyalty audit of your organization and learn how you stack up relative to others
- How to foster long-term loyalty in customers (helping teach your company the lifetime value of a customer)
In our final class, we’ll focus on integrating what we’ve learned, applying it over the coming months, and understanding the last practice of PEAK leadership, “Lead to PEAK”. Benefits include:
- See how as a leader, you’re always a “sherpa,” carrying people forward by example
- Learn how to incubate other leaders and thus replicate your successes
- Becoming conscious of all the ripples that you make as a leader and making sure they align with your values
- Creating daily practices that help you embody all the principles and practices offered in this course.
As soon as the program begins with the Course portion, you’ll get exercises and group support in putting the principles into practice. However, we’re going to go much further with you than weekend workshops or short courses. We’re going to help you make a profound shift over the course of four months.
During the four months of this program, you’ll have exclusive access to an online community that will support you in making changes in how you lead. This in itself will be a huge value-added network with aspiring business leaders from around the world.
In January, February and March, program participants will have access to Chip for three monthly 90-minute leadership coaching calls in which you'll be able to ask him questions directly about your own leadership development and applying the practices from the course. He'll invite participants to share your leadership challenges and receive advice, and generally be available to address your most important questions and concerns. This portion of the program is designed to reinforce your learnings and transform your leadership style long-term. Even if you do not receive individual coaching, you'll learn how to approach a variety of challenges using the PEAK Leadership principles. Call dates will be on Thursdays:
- Jan 13th, Feb 10th, and March 17th at 1 pm Pacific time
January is often the time in which we are formulating our core business strategies for the year after assessing 2010's results. For program participants, Chip will offer two January calls in which course participants will receive focused business strategy advice. We will pre-select the people based on application so as to represent the most diverse set of questions and challenges. You'll learn to think strategically like the leader of a successful $250M company. Dates:
- Jan 20th and Jan 27th at 1 pm Pacific time
One of the most powerful systems for accountability, support, and growth is to form a mastermind group with like-minded peers. For this program, we will help to create mastermind groups of 4-6 people who are in similar circumstances to provide peer support, accountability, reflection, and guidance. This is also an excellent practice for you as a developing leader, helping to mentor other leaders. We expect that many of these groups will endure beyond the course itself. We'll provide guidelines for the most effective use of your time in these groups.
One of the most important skills of a leader is to create a vision and to articulate that in a way that enrolls other people in its manifestation. This is true for an entrepreneur just starting out or the leader of a large corporation. Marcia Wieder has trained over 1000 Dream Coaches and is a world expert on manifesting dreams. She's also renowned for her top-tier skills in enrollment and speaking in a way that inspires and motivates people. In this one hour bonus workshop you'll learn:
- The essential elements for speaking your vision in a way that enrolls others
- How to build "yeses" that lead to greater engagement and passion
- How to create dream teams to help you manifest large visions
To deepen and sustain the transformational effects of Chip's PEAK Leadership Practices, we are offering two Coaching Roundtables with the team of certified coaches that Chip has worked with to develop this material. Led by Vanda Marlow, Chip's muse, and her colleagues from IdeaTribe (www.ideatribe.com), these calls will give ample time for one-on-one work with a PEAK coach to address specific leadership questions that participants may have. In addition, the PEAK Leadership coaches will teach some of the skills taught in their PEAK Leadership workshops not previously available to a wider audience. These skills underpin each of the 9 PEAK Leadership Practices. You will:
- Learn the Three Levels of Listening that allow you to fully understand and respond (rather than react) to those around you
- Develop your awareness of and impact on people and situations
- Learn how to call forth the best in the people you lead
- Develop your own authentic leadership presence
About Chip Conley
No hotel executive in the world has overseen the development and creation of more boutique hotels than Chip Conley, founder and CEO of Joie de Vivre, California’s largest independent hotel company and America’s second largest boutique hotelier. At the age of 26 with no industry experience, Chip transformed a seedy 1950’s “no-tell motel” into the world-renowned Phoenix Hotel, a legendary rock ‘n roll hotel catering to the likes of David Bowie, Linda Ronstadt and Little Richard.
Building on an innovative design formula that inspires guests to experience an “identity refreshment” during their visit, today Joie de Vivre consists of over 40 unique and award-winning hotels, restaurants and spas across the state, approximately 3,500 employees, and annual revenues approaching $250 million. In a feature article on the growing proliferation of boutique hotels in the U.S., TIME magazine suggested that “few boutique hotels are as genuine as those run by Joie de Vivre.” Chip and his company’s time-tested techniques and transformational leadership practices have been featured in Fast Company, Fortune, and the Wall Street Journal.
A best-selling author, Chip shares his unique prescription for success in his most recent book, PEAK: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow (Jossey-Bass, 2007). Based on noted psychologist Abraham Maslow’s iconic Hierarchy of Needs theory, PEAK illustrates how a business’s three key stakeholders - Employees, Customers and Investors - are ultimately motivated by PEAK experiences that address their higher, unspoken needs, and he demonstrates how to create such experiences using real-world examples from his own company and other PEAK-performing organizations such as Apple, Whole Foods Market, Harley-Davidson, and Southwest Airlines. Chip credits this theory for helping Joie de Vivre triple its annual revenues between 2001 and 2008. PEAK was nominated as a finalist in the prestigious 800CEOREAD American Awards in the "New Perspectives" category in its debut year. Renaissance EXECUTIVE FORUMS, an international company dedicated to helping top executives accelerate positive change in their businesses and lives, selected PEAK as their singular 2010 Book of the Year to be universally taught to their members, which are comprised of select C-level executives around the world. PEAK is also being taught in business schools and in hospitality management programs around the country.
A popular speaker and innovative leader, Chip is regularly consulted by corporate, civic and academic institutions for his opinions, guidance and wisdom on building and maintaining a successful and transformative enterprise - involving areas such as organizational leadership, creative business development, corporate social responsibility, and creating unique culture. Chip has delivered keynote presentations and leadership seminars to hundreds of corporate audiences. Chip was invited to collaborate with Whole Foods Market founder John Mackey to organize his annual Conscious Capitalism Conference (C3) in October 2009, where Chip delivered a keynote address that defines how conscious business leaders can thrive in a changing economic landscape. Chip also spoke at TED2010, one of the world’s most exclusive annual gatherings of thought leaders. Chip’s previous books include The Rebel Rules: Daring to be Yourself in Business, with a foreword by Richard Branson (Simon & Schuster, 2001) and Marketing That Matters: 10 Practices to Profit Your Business and Change the World, co-authored with Eric Friedenwald-Fishman (Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2006).
Chip is a member of the Young Presidents’ Organization, the Global Business Network and the Social Venture Network. A committed philanthropist, Chip founded San Francisco’s Annual Celebrity Pool Toss, which has raised over $4 million for inner city youth programs that now thrive in the troubled neighborhood where he launched his first hotel. Chip received his BA and MBA from Stanford University, and was awarded an Honorary Doctorate in Psychology from Saybrook Graduate School & Research Center in 2009.
Coaching assistance throughout the Course provided by Vanda Marlow
Vanda Marlow is a Leadership Coach and Professional Muse. She works with CEOs and entrepreneurs as thinking partner and coach to create thriving enterprises that deliver triple bottom line satisfaction. Vanda trained with the leading coach training organizations in the US and has a degree in Psychology. She was a CEO herself, in her native London, then spent six years working with the dying at Zen Hospice in San Francisco. These experiences honed her desire for all of us to lead authentic fulfilling lives, in the workplace and beyond.
What People Say About Chip and His Work
“Chip Conley is that rare breed of CEO who possesses both a brilliant business mind and a very big heart. He’s a true role model for anyone who wants to lead.” - San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom
“Chip Conley gives a brilliant analysis of the absolute necessity of Maslow’s hierarchical paradigm for leaders, trainers, educators, even parents.”
“Chip's leadership techniques and principles are invaluable tools for entrepreneurs focused on building companies that create financial value as well as positive impact on the human condition and the environment. Chip is shaping the new direction of business and helping train those who will lead it”
“PEAK will show you how to create motivated employees, customers and investors and tells the story of how one spectacular entrepreneur does it by treating people right and how they return the favor.”
What You'll Receive with this Course
- Six initial 90-minute class sessions with Chip Conley, including live, interactive calls and exercises plus question and answer time. Classes on Tuesdays at 1:00 pm Pacific time except the last on Friday, Dec. 17th (9 am Pacific)
- Six 30-minute small group sessions (Tuesdays at 2:30 pm, final 10:30 am Pacific)
- Three 90-minute monthly Leadership Coaching calls to ask Chip questions about applying course learning and practices. (Jan. 13th, Feb. 10th, March 17th, 1-2:30 pm)
- Two 60-minute Business Strategy Calls in which Chip will provide targeted strategy feedback on selected course participants business challenges. (Jan 19th and 26th, 1-2:00 pm)
- Bonus workshop #1 with Marcia Wieder on Feb. 1st on "Enrolling Others in Your Vision" (1-2 pm)
- Bonus workshop #2 and #3 - Leadership Coaching Roundtables with Vanda Marlow, Athena Katsaros, and Kate Roeske. (Feb. 17th and March 22nd)
- Participation in a Mastermind group that will meet as often as you find useful and which we will encourage to endure beyond the end of the Program.
- Unlimited access to recordings of all class sessions (listen online or download the mp3 file to your iPod or audio player)
- PDF transcripts for all course sessions
- Course materials and practices sent by Chip
- Four months of participation in a private, exclusive online community with other program members from around the world
|The 9 Essential Practices of PEAK Leadership Program|
Nov. 16th (orientation), 23rd, 30th, Dec. 7th, 14th (1-3 pm Pacific time), Dec. 17th (9-11 am). Jan 13th, Jan 20th, Jan 27th, Feb. 1st (1-2 pm), 10th, 17th; March 17th, 22nd (1-2:30 pm Pacific time).
Only $225/month for 4 months - single pay discount of $797 saves $103.
The course is limited to 250 people, so register early! Some partial scholarships are available (see below in FAQ).
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is a virtual course?
A: It’s a great way to engage live teachings and each other from the comfort of your home. All the classes are available by dialing a phone conference line. We use MaestroConference to make it just like an in-person event where you can ask questions, participate in groups, and deepen your exploration of the course themes. We also have transcripts and recordings that you can download and keep.
Q: Can I get benefit from the course if I miss the live classes?
A: Absolutely! They are all tape recorded and archived, as well as transcribed, so you don’t need to worry about missing live calls. You can get all the teachings and engage the full community and Chip Conley via our private community webstie.
Q: Can you tell me about the Community Site?
A: We will have a private community for all the participants in this Course, which will support you in making connections between each other, sharing insights, engaging discussions, networking, and exchanging information about events and other activities. You'll have the ability to blog about your experiences, practices, and growth throughout the Course.
Q: What is your refund policy?
A: Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed! If you feel that the Course does not meet your expectations, you may request that your payment be refunded in full. This would need to happen before the class on Dec. 14th. Send refund requests to email@example.com.
Q: How can I reach Customer Support?
firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 439-0003.
Q: What are the benefits of telling my friends to join the program?
A: You can sign up as an Affiliate of The Shift Network and receive 20% for anyone that you introduce who registers for the Course. If you bring five friends into the Course, you can cover your own! Register at www.theshiftnetwork.com/affiliate and you'll receive a promotional link to use.
Q: Can I use Skype to dial in to the sessions?
A: Yes, you can use SkypeOut from anywhere in the world to dial in to the MaestroConference line we will use. You'll need to use the Skype keypad to enter your PIN and to respond to questions posed that require raising your hand. Just go to www.skype.com We'll provide more detailed instructions for those in the course.
Q: Are there scholarships available?
A: Yes, we will have a limited number of partial scholarships available, with a special focus on students and developing world entrepreneurs. Email email@example.com to apply.